The Sidekick open and ready for spinning.
We’re just back from TNNA (The National Needlework Association) and had a blast showing off the Sidekick. She got a big workout and it was fun to show her off. We are thrilled with the response. We still have a few tweaks before we’re in full-blown production.
I thought I’d share some of the specifications about the wheel, as we’ve getting some questions:
- Folds to 21 1/2″ x 15″ x 8 1/4″.
- Integrated storage of bobbins, flyer, and whorls for transport.
- Lightweight at 13 pounds.
- 13 3/4″ drive wheel allows for ratios from 4.25 to 15.25.
- Long, comfortable treadles.
- Uses the same bobbins, whorls, and flyer as the Schacht Matchless and Ladybug wheels.
- The Sidekick can be purchased without the bobbin-flyer assembly.
- 25″ orifice height for comfortable spinning.
- Employs Scotch tension with precise control knob.
- The drive wheel spins on ball bearings. The flyer turns on self-aligning bearings.
- Drive band tension adjuster allows for all whorls to be used with one drive band.
The Sidekick comes with 3 bobbins, 2 whorls, threading hook, and adjustable carrying strap.
Also available: The Sidekick Bulky Plyer Flyer Package can be added at any time.
The Price: We are still receiving pricing for some of our components, so it’ll be a few weeks yet before we’ll have the price finalized.
Ship Date: We will start production in early 2011, with our first ship date around the first of May.
Note: We’ve had some questions about the Sidekick’s weight compared to the Ladybug’s. We re-weighed the Ladybug, and she has gained a little over the years–mainly due to the drive wheel change. For comparison, the Ladybug official weight is 13 ½ pounds.