Designed and woven by Florencia Campos Correa
Florencia Campos Correa has just published a sequel to 100 Pin Loom Squares (2015). Her new book, Oversize Projects on a Pin Loom, includes all the tips and experience she has gathered designing patterns and projects on pin looms since then. Carmina Cape is one of the projects in Oversize Projects on a Pin Loom.
Malabrigo Yarn and Schacht Spindle Company sponsored this book.
Oversize Projects on a Pin Loom is coming soon to Schacht's warehouse!
Finished size: 30" wide (at widest point) x 16" long (at longest point)
Center panels: 2 rectangles of 15 squares each in Buchupureo Stitch, with Buscando Azul warp and weft.
Side panels: 2 staggered wings of 20 squares each in plain weave, with Buscando Azul warp and Jewel Blue weft.
What You'll Need
Malabrigo Yarn Worsted (100% merino wool; 210 yds/100 g), 3 skeins Buscando Azul (dark blue) and 1 skein Jewel Blue (medium blue)
Make 40 plain weave squares, using Buscando Azul for the warp and Jewel Blue for the weft: Wind layers 1 and 2 with Buscando Azul. Wind layer 3 with Jewel Blue and weave the square with Jewel Blue.
Make 30 squares in Buchupureo Stitch, using Buscando Azul for the warp and weft.
Note: The directions tell you to use Ghost/Snake Stitch to seam squares. If the loops on the squares are aligned, use Ghost Stitch. If they are not aligned, use Snake Stitch.
Make the two center panels: For each panel, join 15 Buchupureo Stitch squares into a 3 x 5 rectangle with Ghost/Snake Stitch, following Diagram 1.
- Make the two side panels: Lay out plain weave squares following Diagram 2, always orienting the Buscando Azul warp vertically. Join squares with Ghost/Snake Stitch. You've now completed the left side panel. Lay out and seam the right side panel as a mirror of the left, as in Diagram 3.
- Attach the front and sides: Lay out a left side panel, a center panel, and a right side panel, as in Diagram 3. Seam the three panels together with Ghost/Snake Stitch.
- Attach the back center panel: Seam the "tops" of the side panels to the remaining center panel, as shown in Diagram 4. Work these seams in Ghost/Snake Stitch.
- With Buscando Azul, crochet 2 rows of single chain stitch around the neck opening. If you want big stitches, choose a large crochet hook; for smaller stitches, choose a smaller hook.
- From the wrong side, weave in all tails. If you wish, steam press the cape.
- You're all done! Turn the cape right side out and wear with pride.
© 2021 Schacht Spindle Company